This has been a good article for me since I am considering some remodeling in the kitchen and still cannot decide on Granite or non Granite counter tops. I am still undecided.per Melissa's Article dated November 4, 2013 on www.Realtor.org website:
"Home buyers love kitchens so what trends are cooking up lately? The remodeling web site Houzz surveyed 7,812 home owners about their kitchen remodeling plans this fall. Here are the big trends that emerged from the survey:
1. Bigger isn’t better: Home owners don’t mind a small kitchen, but they do want a feeling of space, the survey found. One way they’re achieving is that is by adding kitchen islands.
2. Wide open: 77% of home owners say they plan during their remodel to have their kitchen open to other rooms.
3. A love for granite: Granite continues its reign as the most popular countertop (favored by 50 percent of those surveyed), but quartz is following up behind at 36 percent.
4. Mix and match: Mixing materials is becoming a more popular fad in the kitchen. For example, home owners are mixing stainless steel appliances with appliances in other finishes, like white or appliances integrated with cabinetry. Also, they’re mixing countertops, such as opting for a different choice for the kitchen island than the other countertops.
5. Conservative with color: Conservative color schemes are the most popular, with 75 percent of home owners say they’re choosing soft and neutral colors for their kitchen walls and decor compared to 14 percent who are opting for bright, colorful selections.
6. Style varies by age: Younger home owners show a stronger preference toward contemporary and modern kitchens while over 55’s tend to favor a more traditional look in the kitchen.
7. Flooring favorites: Top flooring choices in kitchen are hardwood floors (with 35 percent), but followed closely behind tile flooring (32 percent).
8. Being green: Nearly 50 percent of home owners say having eco-friendly appliances and materials in their kitchen is important to them."